Tuesday, January 12, 2016

DID BOWIE SEEK REDEMPTION FOR HIS NASTY NAZISM?

I was just going to write about Bowie's Starman, when I decided to look at what other people thought were his best songs.

One writer has stated this:

Blackstar isn’t the first album Bowie made at death’s door. When he made Station to Station he was paranoid and malnourished, strung out on coke and black magic. The album bristles with fascist and diabolic imagery and yet there in the middle of side two comes this breathless, passionate, theologically very straightforward hymn: “Lord I kneel and over you my word on a wing, I’m trying hard to fit into your scheme of things.” I wasn’t surprised years later to discover that the title was nothing to do with trains but with the Stations of the Cross. I know nothing of Bowie’s religious beliefs but this grasp at redemption has often fed my own. At the height of the icy, controlling Thin White Duke period, he makes himself vulnerable and weak and invites grace in. It’s a personal Passion. It’s also incredibly beautiful.

[source : Frank Cottrell, My favourite Bowie song – by Florence, Marianne Faithfull, Julien Temple, Noel Fielding and more, The Guardian, http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2016/jan/12/my-favourite-bowie-song-florence-welch-marianne-faithfull-corey-taylor-matty-healy-and-more, 12th January 2016]

In the mid-1970s, Bowie, and Eric Clapton, came out with some racist, fascist statements which eventually led to the creation of the Rock Against Racism movement. We are expected to dismiss these statements, attributing them to their excessive cocaine abuse.

But I again ask: why are the deaths of Lemmy and Bowie covered so much by the warmongering mainstream media when there is barely a whisper of the death of John Bradbury?

Anyway, what do Starman lyrics suggest to you?

Didn't know what time it was and the lights were low
I leaned back on my radio
Some cat was layin' down some rock 'n' roll 'lotta soul,
he said

Then the loud sound did seem to fade
Came back like a slow voice on a wave of phase
That weren't no D.J. that was hazy cosmic jive

[CHORUS]
There's a starman waiting in the sky
He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds
There's a starman waiting in the sky
He's told us not to blow it
Cause he knows it's all worthwhile
He told me:
Let the children lose it
Let the children use it
Let all the children boogie

I had to phone someone so I picked on you
Hey, that's far out so you heard him too!
Switch on the TV
we may pick him up on channel two
Look out your window I can see his light

If we can sparkle he may land tonight
Don't tell your poppa or he'll get us locked up in fright

[CHORUS (x2)]

La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la

To me they suggest that we should just have a good time.

Let all the children boogie, he says.

But what about finding out who engineered WW1 and WW2, and why?

Why ignore all that history?

This is the same message that Lemmy had: just get fucked, man, drink, shag (and collect Nazi paraphernalia).

I have to say that there appears to be some change in Bowie's music and philosophy after his flirt with Nazism. But can he ever be forgiven for praising Hitler and demanding an extreme fascist government in Great Britain, just because his 'brain' was totally fucked up from outrageously excsessive cocaine abuse? In my eyes: NO FUCKING WAY!

My grandfathers landed on the beaches of Normandy in June 1944 because The Shitty of London had created Hitler and the Nazis for a second world war. Bowie knew nothing of this, and showed no interest either.







No comments: